Saturday, July 27, 2024

Watauga Lake AT Hike

Saturday morning, I got packed up and checked out early and started heading east.  I stopped at the Appalachian Trailhead along US-321 at Watauga Lake around sunrise for a hike before driving home.  Heading northbound along the AT, there were a couple spots to go out on the lake.


The lake was really beautiful in the early morning light.


There are several backcountry campsites along the trail here and those campers really had some great views to wake up to.


I saw more lilies blooming along the trail.


The trail then started heading further away from the lake.


In about 3 miles, I crossed the Watauga Dam.


The dam had great views of the lake and looking downstream towards Wilbur Lake.


In about another mile, I crossed a road and the trail entered Big Laurel Branch Wilderness.


From here, the trail headed steeply up the ridge.


I went about a mile or so and turned back.


The hike back was mostly downhill and I made it back to the car around 1130.


I drove back into North Carolina and stopped at Little Richards for barbecue in Yadkinville before finishing the drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment