Monday, July 3, 2023

Another MST Hike

Monday morning, it was raining in Maggie Valley.  I headed back up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was very cloudy and rainy all the way to Waterrock Knob, but cleared up a bit as I drove past.  There were nice views from View Wesner Bald.


I wasn't sure about parking at US-74, so I stopped at the Orchards Overlook to park.  There wasn't much of a view from here, but I could pick up the Mountains-to-Sea Trail.


The trail followed a gravel road for over a mile then turned on a foot trail, staying relatively parallel to the parkway.


I made a short detour on a blue-blazed spur that led to the parkway at Woodfin Cascades Overlook.


A short scramble path next to the spur led down from the parkway to the base of Upper Woodfin Cascades.


After some pictures, I got back on the MST and followed it to Fork Ridge Overlook.


From here, I started making my way back.  At the Orchards Overlook, I continued on the trail down to US-74 and then turned back.


On the way back to Maggie Valley, I made a stop at Soco Falls.


With the summer foliage, there wasn't much of a view from the overlook so I just climbed down to the base.


On the way back up, I stopped to see the upper cascades that can't be seen from the base.


I headed back to Maggie Valley.  BearWater wasn't open on Mondays, so I went to Waynesville and had dinner at Boojum in downtown.  Back at the hotel, I took advantage of the pool and hot tub before leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment