Saturday, July 1, 2023

AT Hike to Mount Cammerer

Saturday, I headed to the mountains solo as Sandy was unable to get away for the long weekend.  I left early and headed to the Big Creek area of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  Despite what the website said, there are no pay stations at Big Creek to get a parking pass and I wasn't driving to Gatlinburg as suggested by the sign so I drove out and parked near I-40 and Pigeon River to access the Appalachian Trail.


The trail headed up through forest lands and then came out at Davenport Gap to enter the national park.  A short spur led to the shelter.


The trail was quite steep heading up the mountain, passing the intersection with Chestnut Branch Trail to Big Creek and then Lower Mount Cammerer Trail to Cosby.  After a grueling climb up, I reached Mount Cammerer Trail and turned to head out to the lookout.  Some red elderberry was near Shapton Gap.


The last section of trail went through an open heath area.


At the end, I made it to the lookout and had lunch here to take a break.


The views were great though impact from the wildfires reduced visibility.


The hike back from here was all downhill, but it was still hot and muggy.


Back at the car, I drove to Maggie Valley and checked in to the Quality Inn.  For dinner, I went to BearWaters and had the parkway burger before going to bed after a very long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment