Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Bent Creek Hike on Independence Day

Monday, I checked out of the hotel and started heading east.  I drove to the Rice Pinnacle Trailhead at Bent Creek Experimental Forest and started out on Deer Lake Lodge Trail.


I then got on Wolf Branch Trail and headed up until I got to Ingles Field Gap Trail.


This trail along the upper section of the forest led about 2 miles to its namesake gap, where I got on Little Hickory Top Trail.


This trail gradually descended down into the forest.  I saw some phlox blooming.


At the end, I took a forest road to get on Boyd Branch Trail, following its namesake stream down.


A little copperhead was on the trail.


I then got on Campground Connector Trail to head towards the lake.


There was a nice spot to go out on Bent Creek here.


I then took Homestead Trail to go around the lake.  Lots of rosebay rhododendron were blooming throughout the forest.


I made a short loop on Small Creek and Deerfield Loop back to Homestead and then finished this trail out.


  Finally, I took Hardtimes Connector to head back to the parking lot and started making my way home.



No comments:

Post a Comment