Friday, December 11, 2020

Badin Lake Hike

Friday, I headed to the Uwharrie mountains for a long weekend of hiking and camping.  Sandy had to work at the last minute I so I went out solo.  I left pretty early and arrived at Badin Lake Recreation Area in Uwharrie National Forest around 8.  I parked along the road and picked up Home Trail (#710) to Canebrake Horse Camp and then got on Josh Trail (#702).


These multi-use trails were rather hard to follow for horse trails and I inadvertently got off several times.  After crossing the paved Forest Road 544 twice, I got on Blackburn Trail (#701) that made a loop, passing West Branch Moccasin Creek.


I also took Greg's Loop (#700) and found some rocks to take a break and have a snack.


Then I finished the loops up back on Josh Trail.  This trail ended near Badin Lake Trail (#94), a hiking only trail that led along the lake.


There were several really scenic spots to view the lake.  The trail passed by King's Mountain Point and Badin Lake Campground.


At the southern end, it went through Arrowhead Campground and then finished up the loop.  I took Josh Trail and Home Trail back to the start.


From here, I headed to Morrow Mountain State Park and set up camp.  It was little chilly at night, so I built a nice campfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment