Saturday, December 12, 2020

Morrow Mountain Bridle Trails

Saturday morning was quite chilly when I woke up.  I had a quick breakfast and drove to the Kron House parking at Morrow Mountain State Park.  Dr. Kron was the first trained doctor in the area and built his homestead in what is now the park.


A reconstructed house, greenhouse, and office were here for visitors to get a glimpse into the history of the area.


After some pictures, I followed the road past the gate and picked up the Bridle Trail Long Loop.


In a couple miles, I came to Rocks Trail and went left and followed the trail to the end.  A rock outcrop provided nice views over the Pee Dee River.


I had to climb down the rocks for an unobstructed view.


In a few more miles, the Duck Blind Cove Spur led out to another nice view of the river.


At the Bridle Middle Loop, I went left again and took the Mountain Creek Spur out to where the creek flowed into Lake Tillery.


Continuing on the bridle trails, I finished up the Middle and Short Loops and back to Long Loop.  There was some holly with lots of bright red berries along the trail.


I finished the long loop back up at the Kron Homestead.


The hike was bit longer than planned and I was really hungry, so drove into Albemarle for dinner and then back to camp.  I got some more firewood and built another big fire before retiring for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment