Sunday, December 13, 2020

Birkhead Mountains Long Hike

Sunday morning, I woke up just before sunrise and broke camp and left the park.  On the way home, I stopped at the Thornburg Trailhead for Birkhead Mountains Wilderness in Uwharrie National Forest, planning to hike all of the trails.  Just past the trailhead was the Lewis-Thornburg House.


There were a number of old restored farm buildings around the homestead.


The trail then headed into the woods and reached Robbins Branch Trail in just over 1.5 miles.  I went left and descended down to Robbins Branch.


In another mile, Robbins Branch Trail ended at Birkhead Mountains Trail and I went left towards the Tot Hill Trailhead.


After crossing the summit of Coolers Knob Mountain, the trail descended steeply for a short section.


I turned around at Tot Hill and took the yellow-blazed Camp Three Trail on the hike back.  It made a 2-mile loop with Birkhead Mountains Trail and passed by several nice campsites.


I then got back on Birkhead Mountain Trail to Hannahs Creek Trail.  There was some holly with bright red berries along the trail.


Hannahs Creek ended at Robbins Branch Trail and I took this back to Thornburg Trail and back to the trailhead.  It turned out to be over 18 miles and I was pretty tired when I finished.  But it's only about 1.5 hours back Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment