Sunday, September 18, 2022

Stone Mountain Bridle Trails

Sunday morning, I woke up and broke camp then had breakfast with the running group from Raleigh.  After saying good-bye, I headed over to the equestrian parking at Stone Mountain State Park for a hike on the bridle trails.  I started off on the Bridle Loop Trail, going right at the split to hike in the counterclockwise direction.


About half way through the loop, I turned onto the Bridle Out and Back Trail.  In about a mile, it joined up with Middle Falls/Lower Falls Trail and I stopped to see Lower Falls.


It's a small waterfall and covered in downfall, but worth a quick stop.


The bridle trail split off again and ran concurrently with Mountains-to-Sea Trail.  I followed it to the park boundary and then turned around.  On the way back, I followed the spur trail out to an overlook on Combs Knob.


I could see Stone Mountain and Cedar Rock in the distance.  It was a nice overlook and much less crowded than all the others in the park.


After lunch here, I made my way back, finishing up the other end of the loop trail.


Leaving the park, I headed into Elkin and had an early dinner at Angry Troll and then made the drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment