Sunday, July 4, 2021

Sunrise Hike on the Beach

Sunday morning, we woke up early for a sunrise hike on the beach.  We walked down to the beach while it was still dark and found a nice spot to watch the first light of the morning.


Soon, the sun poked up over the horizon.


It was a very beautiful sunrise.  Here's a video of it.


Sandy went back to bed, while I started hiking north on the beach.  It was a beautiful hike in the morning light with the waves crashing.


Heading north, I soon crossed the fence to where driving is allowed and entered Currituck National Wildlife Refuge.  I saw a couple wild horses up on the dunes but couldn't get a good picture.


I hiked down the beach for several hours.  I had initially planned to go as far as the state line, but it was quite a bit further than I thought.


I went as far as Carova Beach and turned around there.


It had gotten quite hot on the hike back and there's absolutely no shade on the beach.  I'm glad I didn't try to go further.


At the beach house, I went to beach with the in-laws and played in the water for a while.  Then Sandy and I went for another hike at Currituck Banks Reserve to get out of the sun.  We spotted some Indian blanket flowering.


We just went for a short hike and enjoyed the beautiful maritime forest for a while.


Heading back to the house, we had barbecue for dinner.  Corolla was having their fireworks on Monday, but we could see fireworks up and down the barrier island.  Some people were illegally lighting off fireworks on the beach as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment