Sunday, June 26, 2022

Haw River Hikes

Sunday, I headed to Alamance County for some hikes along the Haw River.  My first stop was at Saxapahaw Island Park.  The short Saxapahaw Island Loop was a short trail around the perimeter of the island.


The river was very rocky and scenic in the vicinity of the island.


After finishing up the loop, I got on the Haw River Trail.  Heading northbound, the trail ran behind a private campground then ended before reaching the dam.  Going the other way, it passed behind the Saxapahaw Rivermill and continued following the river downstream for more than a mile.


The lower portion went through farm land that had been cleared to benefit wildlife.


After reaching the current end of the trail, I turned around and headed back.


From here, I drove a few miles north Swepsonville River Park and another access point to the Haw River Trail at Big Alamance Creek.  This section is about 1 mile along the west side of the river.


There were some rocky parts where I could get out in the river.


After hiking under the bridge to the end, I headed back.


There was one more section I wanted to visit before leaving and parked at the Longmeadow Trailhead in Graham.  This section is almost 2 miles, crossing under I-85/I40.


It looks like the northern terminus of this section is less than a mile from Red Slide Park, so hopefully the segments can be connected in the near future.


By the time I finished around noon, it had gotten quite hot and I was ready to return to air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment