Sunday, February 13, 2022

Ledge Creek and Impoundments

Sunday, I headed to Granville County for a couple hikes along tributaries of Falls Lake.  I first stopped at Trailhead 1 in Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area along Brogden Road.  From here, I started hiking down the Ledge Creek Trail through an area being replanted with shortleaf pine.  The trail looped around and ran along the creek.  With steep bluffs along the creek, it was very scenic.


Continuing on, I got on the Pond Trail.


As the name suggests, it passes by several scenic old farm ponds.


The trail ended back up at the parking after passing through another area being replanted with pine trees.  From here, I made the short drive to Trailhead 2.  Hiking down the Waterfall Loop, I turned left at the split and soon came to the trail's namesake.


It's probably a stretch to call it a waterfall, but it was a scenic little drop along a tributary of Ledge Creek.


At the far end of the loop, I got on Ledge Creek Loop which passed by another part of the creek.


Where this loop finished, I then hiked the short Turtle Pond Loop around another scenic pond.


After finishing, I hiked back along the last segment of Waterfall Loop back to the parking area.


Since both hikes were short, I made another stop at the Knap of Reeds Creek Waterfowl Impoundment in Butner-Falls of Neuse Game Land.  A gated road led just under a mile along the impoundment.


Then I made one more stop along Brickhouse Road and hiked the gated roads around the Brickhouse Road, Bluff and Beaver Dam impoundments.


It was a scenic area and I didn't see another soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment