Saturday, June 27, 2020

Lake Johnson and Yates Mill

Saturday morning, we took Alex for a hike at Lake Johnson.  We got an early start to avoid the heat and crowds.  Parking along Avent Ferry Road, we first hiked the unpaved west loop.


The lake was really pretty in the early morning light.


A boardwalk in the northwest corner led to a gravel road to hike back.


Back at Avent Ferry Road, we crossed and took the paved Lake Johnson East Loop along the north shore of the lake.  It was more crowded on this side, but plenty of places for a nice view of the lake.


When we got the dam, a great blue heron was out in the lake.


There were some Canada geese along the dam as well.


Alex was getting hot at this point so he and Sandy headed back while I went east on the Capital Area Greenway following Walnut Creek Trail.  Where the trail passed the headwaters of Lake Raleigh, I got off the trail and bushwhacked into Lake Raleigh Woods.  This NC State University property has some trails along the south shore of the lake.


Several boats were out on the lake and there were lots of nice views from the trail.


The trail ended near the dam and I found a spot to rock hop the creek below the dam.  Once across I got back on Walnut Creek Trail and started heading back.  At Lake Johnson, I went left to finish up the east loop.


I finished the hike back up at the parking on Avent Ferry Road.


Before heading home, I wanted to get in another hike, so made the short drive over to Historic Yates Mill County Park.  After parking, I hiked down to the millpond.


It was bright sunlight and the water level was low, but the old mill was scenic.


There were a lot of people hanging out here, so I climbed up for to avoid the crowds.


I continued along the millpond.


At the split, I went left on High Ridge Trail and took that down to the other end.  Across the wetlands boardwalk, I took Creekside Trail out to make a partial loop.


On the way back, I went out on the pond boardwalk and then followed the millpond back.


It seemed to be getting more crowded and it certainly wasn't getting any cooler so I took off and headed home.



No comments:

Post a Comment