Sunday, January 19, 2020

Uwharrie Trail Morris Mountain

Sunday morning, I had breakfast at the hotel and then headed back to continue my hike on the Uwharrie Trail.  I parked at Yates Place Campground and took the trail north of Dusty Level Road.


In about a mile, the trail crossed Watery Branch and the rocks to hop were completely under water.  I had to bushwhack and find some logs to cross on.  It looked like the logs I crossed on were damming the creek and keeping the actual crossing underwater.  The trail followed Watery Branch downstream past some scenic cascades.


The trail climbed up from the creek for a while then went down to a crossing of Cedar Creek.


Just past here was the NC-109 Trailhead.  There was a good amount of up and down from here, eventually descending to Spencer Creek.


More people were camping down here.  After crossing the creek on a footbridge, there was a particularly steep climb.  The trail continued on and there were some nice winter views.


Eventually, the trail passes by Horse Mountain and I bushwhacked up to the top, though the view was no better than from the trail.


I went as far as Tower Road and turned back.  The sun was out for the hike back.  Near the end, the Watery Branch had gone down and I could cross on the rocks.


When I made it back to the car, I drove back to Albemarle and had fajitas for dinner at El Ranchito and then went to bed at the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment