Saturday, January 18, 2020

Uwharrie-Dutchmans Creek Loop

Saturday, I headed to Uwharrie National Forest for some hiking over the long weekend.  Sandy had to work so I headed out solo.  I left around 630 and got to the trailhead along NC 24/27 for the Uwharrie National Recreation Trail.  After getting my stuff together, I headed off on the white-blazed Uwharrie Trail.  Although it's in the Piedmont, there was a lot of up and down along the trail.


The trail dipped down to cross Wood Run then started climbing again.


After circling a knob, the trail descended to cross Upper Wood Run, then climbed up the summit of Dennis Mountain.


The top was forested but there were pretty nice winter views.  Then another steep descent to Big Island Creek.


After about 6 miles, the trail intersected Dutchman's Creek Trail.  There was a gradual descent to the upper portion of Dutchmans Creek where a large group of scouts were camping.  From the intersection, it was about 3 miles to Yates Place Campground, my turnaround point.  On the way back, I took Dutchman's Creek Trail to make a loop.  The trail descended towards its namesake.  There was a small cascade on a tributary.


The trail followed the creek for a while.


After crossing Dutchman's Creek a couple times, the trail ascended up Lick Mountain.


Again, it was forested but there were good winter views.


At one point along the trail, I could see Lake Tillery and Morrow Mountain across the lake.


After about 5 miles, Dutchman's Creek intersected Uwharrie Trail.  It was still a long hike back and it started to rain slightly, but nothing heavy.  When I finally got back to the car, the rain had stopped.


I drove to Albemarle and checked into the Sleep Inn and had pizza for dinner at PizzAntic.  With over 20 miles hiked, I certainly did sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment