Thursday, July 4, 2019

Independence Day in Corolla

Thursday morning, I woke up early and headed down to the beach before sunrise.  The beach was just beautiful in the early twilight and I started hiking north.


The sun rose just as I crossed the fence to where beach driving is allowed.


Not too many vehicles and few people this early in the morning.


I went north several miles, past the homes and followed a sandy path into Currituck National Wildlife Refuge.  I was hoping to spot some wild horses but no such luck.


By 730, it was already hot and humid and the flies were bad in here, so I started hiking back.  Crossing back to where beach driving is prohibited, there were a bunch of pelicans and cormorants on the posts out in the water.


The beach was really getting crowded now, but it was just another mile to Corolla Light.


I got back to the house and rested in the air conditioning for a little while and then we all headed to the beach to play in the waves.  There were some boogie boards at the house to borrow and pretty good surf to ride the waves.  After playing in the water a bit, Sandy and I had lunch and took a dip in the pool.  We grilled burgers for dinner, then I went back down to Historic Corolla Park to watch the sunset over the sound.  Too many clouds for much of a sunset, but clear enough for fireworks.  After the fireworks, we went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment