Saturday, November 30, 2019

Roanoke Canal Hike

Saturday, I made a day trip to Roanoke Rapids to hike the Roanoke Canal Trail.  I arrived at about 830 and parked at the Roanoke Canal Museum.  First, I went westbound following the trail.  It was surprisingly scenic and there was still some fall color showing.


In about a half-mile, I came to the overlook for the Power Canal Bulkhead, which was used to generate hydroelectric power when the canal was in operation.


Right past here was Rochelle Pond, a stormwater retention basin.


I went as far as Roanoke Rapids Lake Day Use Area and headed back.  Once back at the museum, I continued eastbound on the canal trail.


The trail crossed NC-48 at the railroad tracks and ran behind the West Rock plant.  After crossing River Road, there were some scenic spots along the Roanoke River.


A surprising amount of fall color remained for the end of November.


After this, I crossed under I-95 and continued southeast.  Right after the wastewater treatment plant, the trail crossed over the Chockoyotte Aqueduct.


A short trail led to an overlook of the aqueduct, built in 1824 to route the canal over Chockoyotte Creek.


Right past here, a short detour led to the Confederate Cemetery as the trail entered Weldon.


The trail led through the downtown of Weldon and went under US-301 in a tunnel.


Right past here was the eastern trailhead at River Falls Park.  Great Falls of the Roanoke was just upstream.


Waterfall is a bit of stretch, but it was pretty impressive on the river here.  The Roanoke Canal was built to bypass this waterfall.  After a couple pictures, I started to head back.  While in Weldon, the trail passed under an old railroad trestle.


It was the advent of the railroads that ultimately led to the demise of the canal.  I stopped for one more short break at the aqueduct, probably the most scenic part of the trail.


Then I finished the hike back up at the museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment