Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Long Hike to Little Creek Falls

Tuesday was rainy and Harper wasn't feeling great so Sandy stayed with her while I went for a wet hike.  I headed to Deep Creek just up the road from our cabin and continued to Thomas Divide Trail, about a mile down the gravel Tom Branch Road past the main trailhead.  Initially the trail was an old road.


In about 3 miles, the road continued as Indian Creek Motor Trail and Thomas Divide Trail turned and became singletrack.  It was overgrown in places.


In a little over 5 miles, I came to Deeplow Gap.


Here, I turned on Deeplow Gap Trail and started heading down.  In just under a mile, I came to Little Creek Falls.


In the past, you could park at a trout farm outside the park and access from private property.  It was only about 3 miles this way.  But the farm no longer allows public access, so I think this is the easiest way to the waterfall now.


It looks possible to hike from Mingus Mill as well, but wouldn't be any shorter or easier.


I got some pictures and started heading back.  Back on the road portion, I saw some turkey on the trail.  My presence startled them and they flew high up into the trees.


I also saw some great blue lobelia along the trail.


Near the trailhead, I made quick detour to the Wiggins-Watson Cemetery.


Driving back, it was lightly raining and I couldn't pass a waterfall trailhead in the rain, so stopped at the main Deep Creek Trailhad.


It was just a short hike to Tom Branch Falls along Deep Creek Trail.


Even in the rain, the water level was low.  On the way back, I made a quick stop at Juney Whank Falls.


Then I returned to the car.


Back at the cabin, we got Harper ready and went into town for dinner at Iron Wok.

No comments:

Post a Comment