Saturday, November 26, 2022

Return to Great Dismal Swamp

Saturday morning, it was quite cold when I woke up.  After breakfast, I headed back to Dismal Swamp State Park to hike the rest of the trails on a much more pleasant day.


After crossing the bridge, I got on Supple-Jack Trail to hike through the woods and saw some beautyberry.


At the end, I got on Canal Road and saw more deer.


At the end of Canal Road, I again turned on Kim Saunders Road.


But this time, I turned on S. Martha Washington Trail to head up towards the northern boundary of the park.  Near the end were two weirs to control water flow.


The trail led over a bridge on the second one, but the first was fenced off.


At the end, I turned on Corapeake Road to hike along the park's northern boundary and state line.  Near the end, the forest opened up as I came to the location of the 2011 fire scar.


A wildfire sparked by lightning started the fire that lasted over 100 days cleared out the forest in this area.  There was a picnic table here at the northwest corner of the park where I had lunch.


Then I hiked down Forest Line Road back to Kim Saunders Road.


Hiking back, I turned to hike Western Boundary up and then back down on Laurel Trail to finish off the remaining trails I had yet to hike.


Then back to the visitor center on Canal Road.  It was a slightly shorted hike today, but still over 20 miles.


From here, I stopped at Newland Pub and Grill along US-158 for dinner then returned to camp at Merchants Millpond and made a campfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment