Sunday, August 14, 2022

Cliffs of the Neuse

Sunday, Sandy had to work and I wanted to get out of Raleigh so I headed to Cliffs of the Neuse State Park near Goldsboro for a hike.  I parked at the overlook with a nice view atop the cliffs.


Then I started hiking down 350 Yard-Trail that led down to river level where some folks were fishing.


Sunlight was clearing the morning fog from the river.  At this point, Mill Creek flows into Neuse River and there is a little cypress swamp at the confluence.  Unusual to see right next to towering cliffs.


The trail ended at the start of Bird Trail where there was a small but scenic cascade on Still Creek.


Bird Trail led out to more nice views of the cliffs.


Where it connected to Galax Trail, I added that loop on as well.  A spur led out to the lake and Lake Trail.


I took Lake Trail back to the visitor center and then got on Longleaf Trail.


Old Wagon Path is a new trail since my last visit that connects Longleaf Trail to the overlook parking.


After hiking the new trail, I took Longleaf Trail to the end and then followed Sand Path towards the group camping sites.


Spanish Moss Trail would complete the loop back at the parking area.  There was another cypress swamp in the floodplain before climbing back up to the parking area.


I finished up Spanish Moss Trail back at the overlook parking.


It was still before noon, so I made another stop at Old Waynesborough Park.  After parking, I got on the combined trail loop trail to hike through the park.  The trail led as far as Little River near the confluence.


Then the trail looped back around following the shoreline of Neuse River.  The noise of ATVs was coming from Busco Beach across the river.  Finishing up the main loop, I got on the Red Loop.


Then I hiked through the historical village.


After finishing my hike, I started making my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment