Sunday, September 22, 2019

New Hope Creek Hikes

Sunday, I went for a couple hikes along New Hope Creek in Orange and Durham Counties.  My first stop was Johnston Mill Nature Preserve, a Triangle Land Conservancy property.  I arrived pretty early and there was still plenty of parking.  Hiking down to the creek, it was pretty dry as we haven't had much rain in a while.


I took Bluebird Trail through an open meadow along a powerline clearing.  There were lots of yellow ironweed flowering in the open area.


I continued on and got on Old Field Bluff Trail and hiked around the rest of the trails.


Finishing up here, I drove to Erwin Road and parked at Hollow Rock Nature Park.  First, I crossed Pickett Road and hiked the Headwaters Loop.  Then, I hiked Hanging Rock Loop down to New Hope Creek.


There was very little water in the creek.  The trail also passed through an open meadow.


Right before the spur, I went out to New Hope Creek Overlook.


Then I hiked under the Erwin Road bridge and into the Korstian Division of Duke Forest.  The New Hope Creek North Trail follows the river upstream.  Almost immediately, there was an old dam along the creek.


The trail stayed close to the creek through a really rocky and scenic section.


Further along, I had to scramble in places along the creek - it was a really fun trail!  Eventually, the trail departed from the creek and climbed up Piney Mountain.


I was able to make loops along the hike back to Hollow Rock and my car.


No comments:

Post a Comment