Sunday, August 23, 2015

DuPont State Forest Waterfalls

Sunday morning, I woke up, had breakfast, and checked out of the hotel. It was a long drive home and I wanted to get in a good hike before I left. So I headed to DuPont State Forest, just east of Brevard, and parked at the Hooker Falls parking area. After getting my stuff together, I started out on the short Hooker Falls Road to its namesake waterfall. I was here early enough that I beat the crowds and had favorable lighting to capture the falls.


One guy was swimming in the pool beneath the waterfall, but no one else was here. I took advantage and walked around a bit to get pictures of the falls and then headed back.


I took the pedestrian bridge over the river and then followed Little River upstream along Triple Falls Trail. I stopped for picture at the overlook where all three sections of the waterfall are visible. Then I then climbed down to the rocks to get some pictures from here, where I could see the upper and middle sections of the falls.


It was still early and there was no one else at the waterfall. Every other time I’ve been to Triple Falls, it’s been very crowded, so it was nice to have a bit of solitude here. I continued following the trail and took High Falls Trail at the split.


After a quick stop at the overlook to see High Falls, I took Covered Bridge Trail up to the bridge over the waterfall and followed Buck Forest Road.


I followed the road for just under a mile to a bridge over Grassy Creek and then took Lake Imaging Road to Grassy Creek Falls Trail. Along the way, I saw some black-eyed susans blooming along the road.


The trail ends at the top of the waterfall and the views aren’t very good. So I bushwhacked down to the base, but it was very cluttered and I couldn’t really get a decent view here either.


It’s not that scenic of a waterfall anyway, so I gave up and headed back. Once across the covered bridge, I made a partial loop by taking Triple Falls Trail all the way back.


Along the way, I saw some great mushrooms growing right along the trail.


At the base of the lowest section Triple Falls, I headed out onto the rocks to get some pictures, though the waterfall had become crowded by this time.


Then I finished my hike back at the Hooker Falls parking area. It was still early so I drove over to the Guion Farm parking area off Sky Valley Road. From here, I hiked to Wintergreen Falls, the last waterfall in the forest that I had never visited. I hiked south through an open field and got on Tarkiln Branch Trail. I followed this for about a mile and turned left on Wintergreen Falls Trail. It was about a half-mile to where the trail ends at Grassy Creek. From here, I had to scramble over some big boulders for a view of Wintergreen Falls.


Although not big, it’s a very scenic waterfall and much less crowded than the more popular waterfalls on Little River. It's more scenic that Grassy Creek Falls in my opinion. I got some pictures here and then hiked back to the car. I started making my way home, passing through Hendersonville and getting on I-26. When US-74 split, I got off the highway in Columbus at NC-108. I turned on Houston Road and then White Oak Mountain Road. This last road, although paved, was extremely steep and windy as it switchbacked up the mountain. At a couple points, I had to come to a complete stop and put the car in first gear to get up the hills. After two miles, I parked right before Shunkawauken Falls.


This roadside waterfall is quite high; surprising, considering how high on the mountain it is. I got a couple of pictures of the waterfall and of the views over Columbus far below the mountain.


After enjoying the view, I returned to the car and drove back to the highway and made my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment